Required Software and Equipment
Please have the required software installed on your laptop prior to orientation or the beginning of the class.
University email account
Set-up your email account with the University at https://itaccounts.iu.edu/
PC or Mac Laptop
Desktop computers can be used, but for orientation you'll need to have a laptop. Content that is presented during your orientation cannot be viewed on a Tablet. You must use a laptop. Once you have your IU user-name, you can receive a university discount to purchase computers and accessories.
- Webcams will be used throughout your coursework and your field practicums.
- Most laptops have an integrated web-cam. If not, or you are using a desktop, you will need to purchase a web-cam.
- Headsets with an Attached Microphone
- Headsets are required for videoconferencing throughout your coursework and your field practicums.
- Earbuds will not work. Your headset must have an attached microphone.
DSL or Cable Internet Connection
This is acquired through your Internet Service Provider (ISP). You must have a broadband DSL or Cable connection to make use of all the multimedia tools used in MSW Direct.
See your Internet Service Provider in your community.
- Windows 7 or 8.1
Ensure you have the latest Windows Update Installed on your PC. Windows sends updates to each version 7 or 8.1 usually once a week.
- How to Install Windows updates in Windows 7
- How to Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 YOU MUST UPGRADE TO 8.1 if you have 8.0 Windows
- Install the latest Windows 8.1 Update
Note: IUWare has free OS for Students.
It is recommeded that you only use Google Chrome for all of IU related softwares for both MAC and PC.
Download or update to the latest version of the Java. Note: Uninstall All older Versions of Java. The older versions put your device at a greater security risk
Download or update to the latest PDF reader from Adobe. Adobe Reader Download
Note: Unchecked optional addition add-ons, software, etc. that may take more time to install.
This platform is used for desktop videoconferencing with the instructor and/or peers.
- Run the Meeting Connection Diagnostic to make sure your system will run Connect
- To access Adobe Connect go to: http://connect.iu.edu
- Adobe Connect Getting Started
Microsoft Office Suite 2010 or 2013 for Windows (2011 for Mac)
This software is essential to prepare and read documents in your courses. Office Professional Plus 2013 available for free at IUware. Includes Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word.
Configures your computer to connect to the IU network from an off-campus or wireless network connection. This utility is required to access certain material with IU.
Video Conferencing http://23.iu.edu/
Videoconferencing tool used by instructors to meet with students. You may also use this platform to meet with classmates.
- Instructions for joining a 23.iu.edu conference
- Add the Chrome extension (required): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pexip-screensharing-exten/jmfbfggikgbdccejjilikgnfdjnpmlfe
- Test your connection: Call 812-856-2020 and tell them you want to test your 23.iu.edu bridge connection for the first time.
Canvas is IU’s course management system. This is where the courses are implemented. You have access to Canvas when you register for classes.